Friday 15 March 2013

Making a stain





This is the recipe to make Alexander's stain. It was a bit like following a recipe except there was no licking the spoon and these ingredients could kill me!




 This is Malachite Green. I had to add 0.02gm of it. That is an incredibly small amount. I had to use special scales that could weigh down to 0.0001 of a gram. They were in a special box because even a person moving by would cause them to flucuate.





This is a special instrument for measuring out precise amounts. I could set it to draw up anywhere from 0.1 ml to 40ml.



Here I am using the magnetic stirrer.



This is another stain. It is bright red.



This is Glycerol.


This is the most dangerous chemical in the recipe. I had to use a fume cupboard to ensure that I did not breath any in. It has a very strong odour and can make you very ill.



This is the last chemical I added. I have heard of Lactic acid building up in muscles but did not know it was used in chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment